It was established in 1936 as an Institutional Hospital for British Indian Troops in the holy land of Hazrat Shahjalal (Rh.) and Hazrat Shahparan (Rh.). In 1948 it was upgraded from Institutional Hospital to 200 bedded Medical School, in 1962 from Medical School to Sylhet Medical College Hospital. In 1978 the Medical College Hospital Shifted to its present place at Kazalhaor. Since then this premise was remained vacant upto May/1992. Again it started its functioning as 100 bedded district hospital. In 1998 it was renamed as Sylhet Shaheed Shamsuddin Ahmed Hospital in the name of our Liberation war martyr Prof. Shamsuddin Ahmed. Medicine, Surgery, Gynae & Obs, Ophthalmology, ENT, Dentistry, Pathology, X-ray, Blood Bank, ECG, Ultrasonography departments are available in this hospital. Patients can receive their necessary treatment from other allied departments/ Program like TB & Leprosy control program, EPI program.